Monday, September 12, 2011

Eggplant Bruschetta

What to do with eggplant? They are prolific at this time of year, but I have not yet mastered how to cook them. Either I cook them too long (mushy and baby-food-esque). Or I don't cook them long enough (tough and flavorless). But this recipe I found worthy of repeating! These are Japanese eggplants.

Photobucket

Longer and skinnier. Globe eggplants would probably work even better for this recipe (a bigger slice on which to pile the delicious tomato mixture), but this is what I had (given to me from a friend's garden at that). This is an excellent appetizer, or a vegetarian main course. Messy, but delicious!

Photobucket

Cut the eggplant into 1 inch slices. Brush with olive oil and salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred on both sides (5-7 minutes per side) and tender when pierced with a fork. In a bowl mix together 3 or 4 tomatoes, seeded and diced (whatever variety you like, I used San Marzano), 2 ounces feta cheese, 1/3 cup diced red onion, 3 TBSP chopped mint, 2 tsp. red wine vinegar, 1 TBSP olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Top the grilled eggplant with the tomato mixture and there you have it...bruschetta, hold the bread, add the mint. It was a BIG hit at our table!

Idea and recipe adapted from one of my favorite food blogs, Smitten Kitchen.