I hope you all had a safe and sweet Halloween.

Personally, I hate Halloween. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to dress up and have thrown plenty of parties to have an excuse to do so. But there is practically nothing I like about Halloween. Most of it, however, has to do with being an adult. I now understand the origins of the holiday and the incredibly evil things that happen on that night and it is hard not to think about that. I can't stand the scary, bloody and grotesque costumes that freak out my kids. And I hate the massive amounts of sugar that are allowed in childrens' bodies for the excuse of a holiday.

That said, I also still remember how fun it was as a kid, to dress up and go to our church carnival, or out trick-or-treating. I remember the grey leather boots with heels that my mom let me wear, year after year, to perfect my gypsy costume (seriously, like four years in a row). I remember the amazing time and effort my mom put into the Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy costumes for me and my brother. I remember LOVING the excuse of a holiday to eat a truckload of candy. So, for the sake of my children, we have a fun, family night on Halloween. And, honestly, I love our neighborhood, and am so happy they are willing to provide a safe trick-or-treating experience for our kids (we know tons of people on the block and many of them often have "special" treats for our kids since they are the youngest kids on our street...aka coins, or full-size candy bars wrapped in dollar bills).

We started our evening at our church carnival (yet another safe, fun environment for the kids to be). Here's Isaac showing off the tickets he won at the game booths.

Audrey waiting for her...

cotton candy!

Our friends Jaime and Andrea joined us at the carnival. Andrea was trying to entice her daughter to grab for the cotton candy.

No luck, Lila was content just sucking on her own two fingers.

The girls had fun getting their faces painted.

Enjoying our dinner in the coutyard.

Vi and her buddy, Jackson.

All done with the carnival and ready to go trick-or-treating.

Audrey and her pile of silly bands she got at the carnival.

Isaac traded in his tickets for a stuffed snake.

Violet lining up all her loot.

Does that face say, "I had fun tonight." or what?
1 comment:
Do you have a picture of you and Ben dressed as R&R? I had forgotten about. Actually, I think I still have the Ann costume in our costume box. Love, Mom
Post a Comment