Monday, August 31, 2009

Special girl trips

With three kids, finding opportunities to do something special with one kid at a time can prove challenging. However, with the older two kids back in school, Violet and I are enjoying some time "to ourselves". This past Thursday we joined some friends for a trip to the Chaffee Zoo. Here's Violet with her friends Mya and Janelle in the new rainforest exhibit. The girls loved searching for all the little frogs, lizards, and other creatures. I'd never seen this little guy before! On Saturday, I spent some time with just Audrey as we visited the Squaw Valley Herb Gardens. We had a wonderful morning as we took a tour around the gardens, snipping herbs, smelling them, trying to identify them, then learning their many properties and uses around the home! Here's Audrey with her little packet full of herb clippings. After that we sat for a sip of lavender tea while hearing a short talk and demonstration of how to use our lavender stalks. Audrey and Andrea rolling out the lavender, separating the bud from the stalk. Myra's getting her aggression out on the lavender! Our morning ended with a wonderful brunch of vegetarian quiche topped with herbs de Provence, lavender scones, fruit salad topped with lavender-infused whipped cream, and iced mint tea! Thank you Myra for arranging our tour! Audrey and I had a bloomin' good thyme!

5 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I have always wanted to check out the herb garden. How fun!

Cindy

JHNickodemus said...

Pictures are a great follow up to your story!

Little Spouse in the Old House said...

My kind of place, that herb garden. I just started my first two lavenders this year. Loved the picture at the end! And Violet, I wish I could have been with you in the Rain Forest. Neat frog! Love, Grandma Janice

Christa said...

How fun! Looks like a great day. And I love your little play on words.

Anonymous said...

Very cute flower picture, Jamie and Audrey! Glad you've enjoyed some fun "girl time"!

Marcy