Friday, May 30, 2008

My big girl

You know, sometimes it's hard to see how much your kids are growing. You see them every day. You hear their speech improve every day. They have their big milestones (crawling, walking, going potty in the toilet, moving into a bed, going to school, etc.). But every once in a while, my kids will do something "little" that surprises me, something I wouldn't expect them to be old enough to do...or understand.

Sometimes it's not a good thing, like Audrey walking home a couple weeks ago BY HERSELF instead of staying at school for drama practice.

Sometimes it embarrasing and incorrect, like Isaac (about a year ago) laughing in the bathtub, telling Violet, "Don't touch my magima". Sorry Isaac, not the right word, and, also, you don't have one.

But sometimes, it's little things that make you proud, and a bit surprised that your child is growing us so fast before your eyes. Yesterday at the play-place in the mall, I overheard Violet chatting with another little girl her size. "I name Violet" she said, adamantly, putting hand to her chest. It took the little girl a couple times of Violet repeating, but she eventually understood, answering back. "My name's Chelsea". WOW! My 2-year old can make a friend and introduce herself, all on her own accord.

You're getting so big, Violet!

2 comments:

JHNickodemus said...

Im impressed!

Anonymous said...

I love these stories, kids always surprise you for good and bad. I pass along all our funny stories to mom and dad and they have been documenting all the grandchildren's adventures in a memory book. It will be so much fun to reflect on all the funnies some day!