Summer is almost here! I can feel it...Audrey only has 4 days left of school; apricots are disappearing at Farmer's markets as peaches, plums, and nectarines are showing up; the weather is steadily climbing...oh, I'm getting so excited! And even though, for me, it does not necessarily mean more reading time, I'd like to think positively. I am only a few chapters from finishing my current book, Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and One Raucous Year of Eating Locally by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon (which I would highly recommend if you're interested in reading more about today's food culture and your global footprint), and I need some suggestions.
So, I would like to hear from all of you out there that check in to read our blog. What is your favorite "summer read"? Maybe a suggestion for me, or for Randy, or even for Audrey! Tell me what author really gets you turning the pages! Come on, don't be shy! I want to know!
4 comments:
well since you asked, a friend and i discovered some period books by Philipa Gregory (i.e. the Other Boleyn Girl.. book MUCH better than movie.. naturally.) her storytelling kept us intrigued. for kids? um, Jonah likes those Magic Treehouse chapter books. hope that helps ya! enjoy your summer! Jonah got out last week and started day camp through the City today.
The Amber Brown books for Audrey, or maybe Marvin Redpost. Of course, there are lots of good picture books she can read now that she couldn't last summer. A good read-aloud for the summer for the kids? The BFG by Roald Dahl
Yum that fruit sounds so good! Amber brown is good! Babysitters Little Sister was fun for me... its the younger sister of the girl who started the Babysitters Club. (It might be more second third grade but check it out. They probably have a bunch at the book nook.) Also have you checked out any of the American Girl books? Theyre really starting to branch out to different reading levels.
A fun "green read" is Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano, here at our small Kansas library. Right now, I'm reading Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers, about family relationships, mothers and daughters. If you want to take a pretend trip to the orient this summer, read an Amy Tan book. My favorite was the Bone Setter's Daughter. I think that's the name.
Post a Comment