I asked Randy what some of his favorite cookies were and he came up with a memory of some cookies that his Grandma Lena used to make that included dates and corn flakes. Thanks to my wonderful friend Megahn, I have a supply of chopped dates in my fridge that she purchased for me at the Farmer's Market down in La Quinta ! I called up my mother-in-law who knew exactly which recipe Randy was referring to, and said she'd come join us for a cookie-making day!
Cream together the shortening and sugars. Beat in the egg and vanilla. In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
Blend the two mixtures together. Stir in dates.
Drop rounded teaspoons full of dough into a plate filled with coarsely crushed frosted corn flakes. Press corn flakes into the dough balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Dates definitely melt into cookies differently than raisins. They were a sweet, delightful treat that I will happily make again! It was a fun morning of trying a "new to me" recipe that evoked happy memories of Christmases with Grandma Lena for both my husband and my mother-in-law!
Crunch Date Rounds
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 1/4 cups coarsely crushed frosted corn flakes
Happy cooking and Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment