Friday, March 25, 2011

Maple glazed parsnips

These are parsnips. Obviously a root vegetable (meaning the part that you eat is the root, what grows underground), related to the carrot only white-ish in color. It is a bit sweeter than a carrot. And, when cooked, has a texture more like a potato. One of my favorite ways to cook these is with butter and syrup! First, peel them and chop them, just like carrots. Melt a pat of butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat (margarine or olive oil works as well). Cook them for about 2 minutes, tossing them occasionally to make sure the butter covers them all. I then put a lid on them and turned the heat down to medium to cook them through, another 6-8 minutes, still tossing every once in a while. My Simply in Season cookbook said to put them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes but I didn't have that kind of time, and I also had some chicken in there. After they'd cooked about 10 minutes total, I took off the lid and tried one of them to make sure they were soft and cooked through. Perfect! So then you turn off the heat and drizzle a tablespoon (or two) of maple syrup over the parsnips. A perfect compliment to our meal of pecan-crusted chicken (Cooking Light, Jan/Feb '11), artichokes, salad and bread! YUM!

3 comments:

JHNickodemus said...

YUM! I love these ideas! Maple syrup. Good inspiration.

The Isaacs said...

Wow, I am learning so much- Keep these recipes coming... I love seeing them!

Little Spouse in the Old House said...

Sounds like an episode of "Chopped" and you won! Love, Mom