So I have tried my hardest over the years to be mindful of how I am "using" the earth. I have tried to educate myself more and ask myself the hard questions about how I am choosing to live. I have been so encouraged by the steps our city is taking as well to making it easier to do good things for the earth. I have posted weekly "green ideas" on the blog in the past. Most recently, I have tried to take steps to lessen my impact on the earth by purchasing food that is grown within a 100-mile radius (thus reducing the gasoline used to get it to me, and being able to know that the food was grown and harvested in a fair-trade, sustainable way).
If you are still reading (and interested), please know that I never say these things to pat myself on the back. I just like to share, and hope that others will be inspired by how easy it can be to make a big difference in our world!
So here's what's been happening on the "green" front at the Mack house...
January 1st I stopped buying anything new for myself (reducing waste and combatting consumerism)...clothing, make-up, "toys". I made it to our anniversary (June 28) when I decided to buy a new shirt, pants, and matching eye shadow for our date night. Although I haven't gone back to my previous buying frequency, I decided I needed a new challenge for myself.
So starting July 1, I decided that I would purchase/cook with only items grown and/or raised within a 100 mile radius for the entire month (inspired by the book, Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and One Raucous Year of Eating Locally). Hard to do? Actually, easier than you think. I purchased my milk, cheese, and butter from the Fresno State Farm Market (in the middle of the FSU campus), as well as all my meat (beef, pork, sausage, bacon, chorizo, etc). All my fruits and vegetables came from farmer's markets nearby (easy to do in the summer with all the peaches, plums, tomatoes, zucchini, cantaloupe, etc) or from my "box" that I receive from T.D.Willey Farms in Madera each week. My kids did miss bananas and carrots (already out of season). And yogurt from 100 miles was never found either. But on to the biggest challenge...grain! There are no commercial producers of grain on the west coast; most grain comes from the Midwest. So here was my catch...I allowed our family 3 things outside the 100-mile radius: (1) grains (bread and cereal primarily), (2) anything in my pantry I'd purchased before July 1, and (3) coffee. I didn't "stock up" before, as some of you may think. I made do and rationed. I only had a few cups of flour and sugar each, so baked goods were few and far between. When making a dessert I used 1/2 sugar, 1/2 honey (from Farmer's Market) to make do.
Although I did buy flour and sugar again the first week of August, my experiment helped me reflect on my eating habits, how many items I purchase without thinking twice about where it comes from or how it was grown, raised, or harvested and how that translates into a feeling of North American superiority (follow me here..."I can purchase and consume any item, in as big a quantity as I want no matter how the farming, harvesting, cultivating, and processing affects the land, the field workers, farmers, or animals."). It goes hand in hand with those notions that so permeate our culture, "I'm worth it.", "I deserve it.", or "I have the right to it."
But I digress. Since the first of August I have started thinking towards "stocking up" for the winter.
Well, if you've read this entire post I commend you! I rarely take this much time to share so many of my personal thoughts...I'm usually more like a reporter of Mack family events. Which, speaking of, check back soon for pictures of Audrey and her huge recent accomplishment (no hints)!
4 comments:
Very interesting and impressive! I commend you! Im not gonna lie I read the whole thing and very much enjoy getting caught up!
Good for you! I wish I could be that patient and dedicated. I am glad there are people, like you, that give others the ideas you have in your blog. Who knows, maybe someone will follow in your footsteps.
Wow! You go girl! I guess you got all of the determination of the family. It's nice to see that you are still trying to keep it green. Now all you need to do is move up here to Oregon and become a true tree hugger.
Ben
Jamie-
I loved the post! I would like to take on the same local food challenge sometime soon. I love that you take on small personal challenges like not buying new things & of course eating locally. I enjoy doing the same and find it absolutely exhilarating when I do it. I'll check back in often for inspiration. Thanks for the great post :)
Post a Comment