Friday, August 01, 2008

"Everyday" summer

As summer vacation is quickly coming to an end (only 2 weeks until school starts), I've been thinking about "everyday" activities we've done over the past two months. Of course I'll blog about a vacation or a special visit from my parents, but I'm not always the best at toting a camera along with me when I have myself and three kids to get ready and going, so that I can blog about the "normal" stuff. So I reminded myself to do that this week. Here is (R-L) Isaac, Audrey and her friend, Lindsey, and Violet at our local library branch. They loved participating in the summer reading program, keeping a list of all the books they either read on their own or I read to them. Every Wednesday morning there was a 45 minute program (ie. a magician, storyteller, the "reptile guy", etc.) and after the program they could show their list to the librarian and get a small prize, like a pencil, eraser, or bookmark. This past Wednesday was the final program...a dance party. Here's the kids dancing like an Egyptian, doing the limbo, and they did many others, like the bunny hop, makarena, hokey pokey, and chicken dance. After the library program, Audrey and Violet went to Lindsey's house to play for a while and Isaac had a little boy play-date with his friends Tyler and Chase. Play-dates are very much a part of summer, since staying home all day would make me crazy! Although Nanita and I were hoping to have some good conversation while our boys played (since we haven't seen much of each other lately) we quickly realized that was not going to happen. My house is not near big enough to accomodate 4 boys! Between the running, jumping, kicking, laughing, yelling, etc., we barely got a couple sentences in between. Here's the boys in their costumes (L-R) Chase, Carson, Isaac, and Tyler in front. Another "everyday" part of our summer is Moms' group. Our church moms' group gets together every Thursday morning, usually in the form of a play group. Yesterday we had a fun time splashing around with sprinklers and a wading pool at my friend, Kristen's house. But, alas, I forgot the camera. However, with 8 kids under 4, and 3 more school age ones running around the backyard with water and bubbles going everywhere, it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to get a camera out anyways. Well, hopefully I'll have a couple more fun pictures in the next couple days!

2 comments:

Chris and Nanita said...

You know I think we even have about 3or4 stories that we did not finish. That deserves a adult playdate at starbucks. Right?

Bruce and Janice said...

Glad you guys love to read! It looks like you had a lot of fun - wish we were there!

lots of love - Grandpa Bruce and Grandma Janice