Wednesday, December 26, 2012

For Christmas this year...

...we had six stockings hung by the chimney with care, not just five.

...we went to court, on behalf of our foster-son, to hear the judge say, "I hereby terminate parental rights of the birth mother and any person coming forward claiming to be the birth father of *****, and declare that he should remain under the care of Randy and Jamie Mack as foster parents.  This child is now freed for adoption if these parents so desire to move forward to that purpose."

In the hours leading up to our court hearing I thought about what I would do if Isaiah's birth mom showed up, whether to speak up for placement in her home, or otherwise.  To my own surprise, I was not struck with fear, but rather hopeful that I would have the courage to walk up to her and tell her thank you for allowing me to parent her son these past eight months.  She didn't show, and the judge did as we expected.  The ruling, however, didn't excite me like I thought it would.  Instead, it only filled me with sadness for the birth mom.  What an amazing kid she's missing out on!  As thankful as I am that Isaiah gets to be in our home, the moment was bittersweet.

My thoughts that evening rested in Jesus' mother, Mary.  What an amazing privilege she had, to parent God's son!  What an amazing privilege I have, to parent Isaiah...another woman's child now my own.

She didn't choose Jesus.  God chose her.  She merely said "yes".

I didn't choose Isaiah.  God chose him to be in our house.  We merely said "yes".

For Christmas this year...

...we celebrated the gift of God's son to us with the gift of a new son, also God's gift to us.

...we were blessed with the gift of family.

...we pray that we may have many more years to celebrate with Isaiah in our home.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of YOUR son, and the gift of OUR son!


3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Praise God for His gift! And praise God that you have had your boy in your home for 8 months...may he be blessed to be a part of your family just like you are blessed to have him IN your family.!

Sarah said...

What a blessing this little boy is to you and you to him.

Little Spouse in the Old House said...

Dad and I tearily read your blog this morning. The first day of a new mercy-filled year! We spoke about Mary also and agreed that we want to have her posture of servanthood. Looking forward to seeing all that teaches us in 2013! Love you so much! Mom and Dad