
So I need to apologize to any blog readers out there that like reading new posts at least once a week. Our family has done NOTHING exciting in the last 2 weeks, considering we have been passing around a really bad cold and cough. Violet's missed gymnastics, Isaac's missed 2 days of school, I have skipped Bible study two Thursdays in a row, and Randy even missed 3 days of work this past week. As adults, Randy and I can cope with some down-time, and are both on our second novel in two weeks' time. However, the kids have needed some extra activities to keep the wiggles and whining to a minimum. A couple extra videos, two trips to the library to stock up on "new" books, and lots of cooking projects have helped. I have attempted to make homemade playdough before, but it's never come out really well. Either I haven't liked the smell, the texture, or the short shelf-life. This week seemed like as good as any to try another recipe...and this one is a keeper! We made a batch of lavender and green to match our spring weather! So for any other moms out there wanting to make a batch of homemade playdough that is safe (in case a little gets into their mouths), cheap, and lasts a long time (up to 6 months in an air-tight baggie or container), here is the recipe I used (courtesy of
The Preschooler's Busy Book by Trish Kuffner).
1 cup water
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1/2 cup salt
1 TBSP cream of tartar
Food coloring
1 cup flour
Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir until combined. Knead until smooth (you'll have to wait a couple minutes until it's cool enough to handle). Have fun!
2 comments:
Cool! One of my co-workers used the koolaid packets without any sugar to add the color and made it nice and scented!
I used that recipe when my boys were in preschool (a co-op where Mom's involvement was required)... we substituted baby oil for the oil in the recipe. Nice, sweet-scented touch! -LottiD
Post a Comment