Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Worst parents ever

Yup, we are. We have a mental block when it comes to putting dollars under pillows for lost teeth. I mean, I guess our percentage is pretty good overall. We've remembered 13 of 17 (total teeth lost between Audrey and Isaac so far). But one time we've had to rush in at the break of dawn, slide the dollar under the pillow only to waken Audrey (Randy barely got his hand out with the tooth before she shot up and threw the pillow in the air). We've had to leave an apology note from the tooth fairy on the second night (complete with fairy dust and footprints), saying there we so many kids that lost teeth the night before that she couldn't make all her deliveries (Audrey fell for that easily). Just two weeks ago, Audrey woke up to...yup, again...no swap from the tooth fairy. At the breakfast table I asked her, "Are you sure? I mean, you were up before the sun this morning. Maybe you were just one of her last deliveries (as Randy is in the other room swapping out the tooth)." She bolted from the table and came back with a smile on her face, holding her dollar up high.

Really? I think to myself. They've gotta know. They figured out "Santa" years ago. Do they keep up the ruse just for us? Maybe they think if they tell us they know the truth, we'll stop giving them money. Whatever the case may be, Isaac lost tooth #7 yesterday. He dutifully placed it under his pillow only to be let down this morning when he awoke. "She didn't come!" Randy heard our son exclaim as he was coming down the hall with his freshly ironed shirt. He walked into our room, rolling his eyes, and said, exasperated, "We are the worst parents ever." I saw him thinking for a bit before he turned to go into Isaac's room.

"I'm sorry Isaac. But it rained all night. Aren't fairies like butterflies? If their wings get wet they can't fly correctly. I'll bet she'll come tomorrow." Isaac seemed OK with the answer. Seriously, what is wrong with us? I think I'm just gonna give Violet a 20 when she starts losing teeth, pay her up front, tell her the truth, and finish with, "Don't spend it all on candy."

9 comments:

Little Spouse in the Old House said...

That was one of your funniest stories! Hope the weather's clear tomorrow! Love Mom

Live a Colorful Life said...

Okay, that last part about giving Violet the 20 just made me laugh out loud. Here is what we had to do: We had to write a note to the tooth fairy saying something like please leave the money AND the tooth. Under the TMI category: I have a little bag with Aaron's baby teeth. And when he was in high school and had his wisdom teeth removed he brought them home to me. Yuck. Baby teeth, kinda cute. Wisdom teeth, total gross out.

Christa Wiens said...

That is hilarious, Jamie! And Cindy, please do not include those teeth in the will.

Anonymous said...

IT MUST RUN IN THE FAMILY - I CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES WE FORGOT TO DO THE BIG EXCHANGE. WE EVEN FORGOT THE SECOND NIGHT SOMETIMES. WE JUST KEPT REASURRING THEM THE TOOTH FAIRY WAS REALLY BUSY! PRESTON & SPENCER SURVIVED JUST FINE! AUNT YVETTE

Allison said...

That made my day! I totally agree on the $20 for Violet. The tooth fairy in our house never took our teeth, she just left money. We also never left our teeth under our pillow, we had to leave them in a cup of water in the kitchen...kinda weird now that I think about it. When we got up there was always 4 quarters in the cup with the tooth. It was probably harder to forget that way!

The Lomeli clan said...

Awesome ideas in case we do the same! Ha ha! Very funny!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clever examples of excuses for when "our" tooth fairy forgets!
Marcy

Anonymous said...

I don't remember what we told our boys when we forgot (and I'm sure we did) though you'd think I would have felt guilty enough about telling a lie to my kid that I'd remember doing that....
I do remember one time when Kevin wanted to put his tooth under the pillow but alas it had disappeared... I told him to put a tic tac under there and fool the tooth fairy... and it worked! Which is worse? Mom lying to kid, or Mom teaching kid to lie? (or is there a difference)??? - Lotti D

JHNickodemus said...

My tooth fairy brought me a silver charm that represented the last big place I'd visited. Now I have a charm bracelet that represents all my teeth. I think I figured out the whole parental thing since no one else got charms. It was more like a Christmas morning excitement, and I got to wear my charm bracelet to school. Ps. If you give Violet a $20...dont you think that might set off 3rd child syndrom? Dont you think she wants to get forgotten like her siblings? ;)