
This past weekend I was able to fly to Portland to meet my new nephew, Clark! I had a great three days relaxing with Ben, Alli, and Clark and enjoying the fabulous sunny weather! We also enjoyed the cool evenings, along with the fact that there is light until well past 9 o'clock! We walked around the neighborhood Saturday night, and through Tualatin Hills Nature Preserve on Sunday night. Clark loved the walks, promptly falling asleep because of the motion! Monday we headed into downtown Portland to wander, enjoying the sights, sounds and tastes of the city! After grabbing lunch at a food cart on Alder Street we headed to Pioneer Square to sit, enjoy our lunch, the sun, and general people watching. After eating our lunch I found the real reason for visiting Pioneer Square, Caleb's brick.

Grief is an emotion that I rarely understand...its swells, its power, its changes. But no matter my comprehension of how it works, its presence guides us to do things that sometimes others don't understand in order to "work through it". Yet Ben and Alli were gracious enough to take me to see Caleb's brick and "introduce" my first real nephew to my first adopted nephew. Thank you Ben and Alli for letting me do that...

Even more meaningful was that I got to do this on Memorial Day. I thought of all the mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, and children whose loved ones' names are etched in war memorials all over our country. What a powerful memory the written name evokes....

We enjoyed the rest of our day wandering around the city and down the waterfront, with a stop-in at VooDoo Donuts for a Portland favorite (basically a Boston cream donut but with a face on it). Clark even enjoyed his Blazer blunt (just kidding)! Thanks Ben and Alli for hosting me for the weekend! And a huge thank you to Janice, James & Marcy, and Aaron & Christa for helping Randy with the kids while I was gone. I couldn't have done it without you!
6 comments:
Thanks, Auntie Jamie, for coming to see me!
Baby Clark
Thanks for including the pictures of Caleb's brick in Pioneer Square. That is such a special place for us with so much meaning. Lots of tears flow but I love being there. Thanks again.
P.S. Unbelievably, my word verification word is actually "bless." Really.
How lucky all your nephews and your niece are to have you. I love you. And just so you know, I've never even had a Voodoo donut!
He really looks like he's enjoying that donut!
Thanks, Jamie. I really loved having you there to meet Clark and see how awesome he is. Can't wait for the whole family to meet him. Love you.
Ben
What a wonderful blog you put together, Jamie! It is so hard not being able to see Clark, but seeing others loving him helps. Love, Mom He really looks like he's eyeing that donut!
Post a Comment